The good news is that you can easily and economically get these backyard renovations finished – you just need some lawn care basics and a few ideas about renovations for outdoor design.
1. The Grass Can Be Greener on Your Side Too
As the old saying goes, “the grass is always greener on the other side,” but when it comes to your backyard, the case should be different. With some quick lawn care basics, you can grow a luscious lawn that will instantly change the appeal of your entire property. These grass-growing tips will set you up with a smooth, lush green carpet in your own backyard:
- Prepare the area by removing all weeds, rocks, etc.
- Loosen the top layer of dirt with a rototill, and place high-quality setting soil on top of it
- Roll out a carpet of sod or seed the area
- Water once a week, but feed the area bi-annually with some fertilizer
2. Plant Trees
If you have a lot of open space, you may want to consider planting some trees. They can be the perfect addition to your fresh new lawn. Plant trees that are three to five years old, and even consider hiring a professional landscaper to ensure the placement is the most optimal for growth.
When selecting the type of tree you wish to plant, there are some things to consider to ensure great results. Generally, the smaller the backyard, the smaller the trees should be. You will also need to consider:
- The growth rate of the tree(s) you’re planting
- The size of the tree(s) once full grown
- The maintenance and care required
3. Create an Outdoor Entertaining Space
Luscious lawns are excellent, but sometimes it takes more features to bring purpose to your backyard. Create an outdoor entertaining space to truly get the most out of the space. You can spend the money to build a large deck with expensive patio furniture, or opt for the do-it-yourself additions that take little time and very little money. A few of these ideas to renovate for outdoor entertaining are to:
- Place grouped seating options in a specific area, whether around a table, fireplace, or cleared-out section of the yard
- Add pillows to old benches to make them more comfortable
- Place lounge chairs in the sun to encourage relaxation in your yard
- Add small outdoor tables for ease of bringing food and drinks outside
4. Bring the Light Outdoors
Another quick idea for your backyard that will instantly change the appeal of your property is to add lighting. When nighttime falls, you want to be able to still get use out of your new outdoor living space. Without lights, this can be a very difficult and unrealistic task. Opt for outdoor lights that are solar-powered to avoid the hassle of wires. Then, place them in desirable areas that need a little light and allow your new outdoor living space to be enjoyed all hours of the day – and night.
These simple lawn care basics and small projects can easily be done in as little as one weekend, and will instantly increase the aesthetics of your backyard property.